Diabetes Learning Center
The Diabetes Learning Center offers educational support, follow-up and guidance for people with diabetes and their families. This American Diabetes Association (ADA) certified program focuses on self-care management.
Our educational program empowers people with diabetes to develop a healthy lifestyle. The 10-hour program consists of three, three-hour classes and a one-hour private session with a registered dietitian and registered nurse to develop your personal assessment profile.
Group Topics Include:
- Diabetes - Understanding the Disease
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Medication and Sick Day Management
- Exercise, Foot Care and Skin Care
- Recognizing Risk Factors
- Preventing Complications
- Eating Out and Travel
- Carbohydrate Counting/Meal Planning with ADA Guidelines
- Label Reading and Food Shopping
- Coping with Diabetes
- Community Resources
- A personal assessment
- A program which gives you a knowledge base for day-to-day self-care management
- Opportunities to talk with others who live with diabetes
- Bringing a support person with you
Individual Instruction Is Available Covering:
- Basic or intensive management
- Pre-diabetes management
- Insulin, Byetta or Symlin injection trainings
- Self-blood glucose monitoring
- Nutrition counseling to include carbohydrate counting and meal planning
- Weight management
- Gestational diabetes management
The Diabetes Learning Center team consists of a registered nurse and registered dietitian who are certified diabetes educators and medical staff support from a pharmacist and ophthalmologist.
First, register for classes at Brandywine hospital by calling Central Scheduling at 610-383-8760. Then check in at Outpatient Registration 30 minutes before your first appointment. Please have available:
- Physician Referral: A physician referral is necessary to participate in either individual or group education and may be helpful for insurance reimbursement. Bring your physician referral with you — unless your managed-care insurance handles referrals electronically.
- Insurance Information: Most insurance companies will pay all or part of this fee — please check with your insurance company. If you have any questions about insurance coverage or need to discuss payment options, contact our Financial Counseling Services at 610-466-4284 and 610-466-4032.
Each Class is a total of 10 hours: One hour pre-class appointment with the dietician and the nurse educator scheduled ahead of class and three 3-hour classes.
To Register, please contact: (610) 383-8760
For more information, please contact: (610) 383-8358