Our supportive activities include:
- Recreational Programming. Many individuals with eating disorders need to relearn how to have fun. Built into the program schedule is time for recreational activities ranging from computer games, board games, and puzzles to walks on the hospital grounds, gardening, bird feeding, crafts, and caring for our cats at the farmhouse. Participants may spend time communicating through e-mail or social media and are welcome to use their own laptop or one of the desktop computers available to participants.
- Exercise and Fitness. The program has access to the hospital fitness facility which includes equipment for cardiovascular and weight training. Because excessive exercise may be a problem for some patients, staff provides appropriate supervision and guidance as each participant follows a recommended program of physical activity.
- Family Support Group. Twice a week in the early evening, the program's family therapists lead a group for the families of program participants. This is a chance for families to share their experiences and learn from each other as well as from therapy staff.
- Educational Services.An accredited teacher provides instruction for middle and high school students five days a week during the school year. The teacher coordinates with the participant's home school district and works closely with the teachers and guidance department in order to accompany the student's learning needs and to receive classroom assignments. If a student has fallen behind because of the eating disorder, the teacher will work with the student to help catch up and, if necessary, obtain an accommodation from the home district. Tutoring and educational assistance are provided in various ways, which are appropriate for the student's learning requirements. Our teacher creates educational logs to chart a student's daily accomplishments and completes an Educational Discharge Summary as they are discharged from the EDU. This material is provided to the district upon the adolescent's return to school so they may alter any learning strategies for the student. College students can also utilize the classroom and computers to keep up with coursework during their stay.
- Spiritual Support. We know that spirituality is different for each participant. We have spiritual counselors from every denomination available, as well as a non-denominational chapel in the main hospital.
- Medical Services.Licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and accredited through the Joint Commission, Brandywine Hospital is a full-service facility with general medicine and specialty and subspecialty services.
For more information, please contact: